The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is a world leader in tropical marine science and conducts research supporting environmental sustainability and economic growth in Australia’s tropical oceans. Through our highly skilled and innovative staff, state-of-the-art infrastructure, strong national and international collaborative relationships and valued technical support, we are helping to build Australia’s national marine science capability so that together we can meet the challenges facing our marine estate.
The Institute operates from facilities in Townsville Queensland, Darwin Northern Territory and Perth Western Australia.
About this Opportunity
You will have overall responsibility for the development and management of the AIMS Data Management Platform (ADMP) including eAtlas. The ADMP forms part of a knowledge management system that aims to foster both access to, and reuse of, science across multiple institutions and industry and assist with evidence based biodiversity assessment and monitoring. You will liaise with scientists and managers across organisations and play a lead role in the design and implementation of future iterations and features of the ADMP.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a world leading organisation with attractive working conditions including a 9-day fortnight, generous leave entitlements, transportation to site, a salary range of $97,656 – $107,057 and 15.4% superannuation. This role is being offered for a minimum 3 year term and will be based in Townsville, Queensland.
You will have tertiary qualifications in either, software engineering, computer science, quantitative analysis or equivalent professional experience and be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent programming skills with experience in R, Python, PHP and Java;
- Experience with preparation, manipulation, data management and quality control of scientific data and spatial data programming;
- Outstanding communication skills to actively engage and collaborate with key stakeholders; and
- Sound project management skills, with attention to detail and a client focussed delivery.
Overall responsibility for the development and management of the AIMS Data Management Platform (ADMP) (including eAtlas). This includes an advanced online interactive spatial mapping component, an integrated content management system, and a series of administrative tools and data fusion tools. The package also includes a metadata repository and advanced metadata search and display components.
The ADMP forms part of a knowledge management system that aims to foster both access to, and reuse of, science across multiple institutions (including industry) and assist with evidence based biodiversity assessment and monitoring.
This position will liaise with scientists and managers across organisations, and play a lead role in the design and implementation of future iterations and features of the ADMP.
This position will involve the analysis, preparation and development of environmental datasets for public delivery via the ADMP.
Within the eAtlas team:
- Take a lead role in the development and implementation of the ADMP system. This includes providing expert programming and software development skills associated with the ADMP, database design and preparation of datasets for presentation and visualisation;
- Liaise with the government scientists and community stakeholders to promote the ADMP;
- Develop a close relationship with key data holders and secure their active engagement in the project from scientists across organisations, government and community stakeholders. This will involve, among others tasks, preparing datasets for online presentation and assist with data management and associated documentation;
- Be the central contact for all ADMP requests from potential clients and project staff;
- Ensure that the following is established and implemented for the ADMP and other related projects as required:
- ISO19115 compliant metadata to the Australian Marine Profile, or FGDC standard, with metadata linked directly to on-line data where appropriate.
- All data stored in accordance with AIMS data management best practices.
- All software developed in accordance with AIMS project development guidelines
- Preparation of datasets and their subsequent visualisation.
- Develop methods and tools for the quality control of data collected and responsibility for the collection of accurate, quality controlled data.;
- Represent the Institute in external forums and to key stakeholders as delegated;
- Document all work undertaken; develop User Guides where required, work with partners to develop documentation to the required specification;
- Develop annual work plans to prioritise the work undertaken as well as higher level strategic plans;
- Provide progress updates to funding bodies and AIMS management. Provide general data management support, with associated tasks for AIMS;
- Integrate with the AIMS Data Centre and external organisations for the adequate metadata description and data standards;
- Communicate in line with the AIMS ‘Way We Will Work’ Principles and uphold these values when dealing with others;
- Comply with AIMS work-place safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe work-place;
- Comply with AIMS’ Intellectual Property policies and procedures to ensure AIMS intellectual assets are captured, managed and protected;
- Comply with AIMS Code of Conduct ensuring the standards of conduct required of an AIMS staff member are upheld.
Skills and Knowledge
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Excellent programming skills and demonstrated application of best practice software development techniques, with experience with one or more of the following languages: R, Python, PHP and Java.
- Demonstrated experience with preparation, manipulation, data management and data quality control of scientific data including spatial data programming.
- Demonstrated experience with project management, successful completion of projects and liaising with external stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal and interpersonal communication skills, strong organisational skills, attention to detail and client focused delivery.
- Demonstrated ability and motivation to engage and actively collaborate with a wide range of government, scientific and community based organisations or individuals.
- Must be able to work and solve problems independently under limited supervision.
Highly Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Good understanding of statistics, science, model development and critical thinking.
- Demonstrated experience or desire to learn about environmental science.
- Knowledge and experience with web based spatial mapping and data visualization techniques.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of the ANZLIC meta data standard, OGC standards and GIS tools.
- Understanding of datum’s and projections as applied to spatial data.
Qualifications and Experience
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in software engineering / computer science / quantitative analysis or equivalent professional experience with a minimum of four years work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and timely delivery of data-based products.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Experience with database use, science data management, data quality control, metadata systems.
- Experience with online content management systems.
Technology and Equipment Used
- Windows based personal computers and Ubuntu Linux based servers,
- Oracle, PostGRES/PostGIS,
- Geoserver spatial database,
- ESRI ArcGIS GIS,
- Apache Tomcat web server,
- SQL, Java, R, Python,
- PHP programming language,
- IntelliJ Java IDE,
- Web application development