Statistician or Senior Statistician – AgResearch
- Position based at either our Lincoln or Invermay campuses
- Opportunities to interact with local universities and scientists to further develop your skills
- Be part of an organisation encouraging agricultural change for the future
Making history – here at AgResearch we strive for excellence, quality and relevance in all that we do. Collaborating with some of the most innovative leaders across the science, government and commercial sectors is important to us. AgResearch is a place where putting together the ‘right teams’ is at the forefront of our science delivery. We are proud to be a leading Crown Research Institute working to create economic, environmental, social and cultural benefits for NZ.
As a statistician, you will advocate statistical principles, working collaboratively with scientists to provide expert advice on statistical methodologies, the interpretation of statistical findings and the design of experiments. This position will fully utilise your skills and encourage career development. Use your experience and knowledge of statistical consulting to contribute to science discovery in New Zealand.
- Have a postgrad degree in Statistics (PhD preferable)
- Have 5 years subsequent statistical consulting experience (for a senior appointment)
- Be proficient in statistical packages such as R, GenStat, SAS
- Be engaging with excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to articulate complex technical information to clients
- Be willing to up-skill in order to meet the challenge of new scientific data
- Have the desire to achieve results and enhance New Zealand Agriculture
This role will be based at either our Lincoln or Invermay campuses, near the cities of Christchurch or Dunedin, respectively. Both sites have beautiful grounds and excellent working environments.
What else we can offer you
AgResearch is located in one of the most beautiful places in the world, where work / life integration is easy. New Zealand has a diverse offering for both independent professionals and families; with a stunning landscape of mountains, rivers and oceans in your back yard, and countless outdoor activities at your fingertips!
We recognise the importance of family living so we offer flexible working hours, life and income protection, attractive remuneration, Kiwi saver contribution and more!
Position Title: Statistician or Senior Statistician
Reports to: Regional Statistics Team Leader
Group: Knowledge & Analytics
Location: AgResearch, Lincoln Research Centre, Lincoln, or Invermay Agricultural Centre, Mosgiel
Client(s): Primarily internal clients across AgResearch Science
Responsible for: Statistical consultancy, experimental design, data analysis and interpretation of results
Definition of Business:
AgResearch is one of New Zealand’s leading research organisations. We work for the benefit of New Zealand, collaborating closely with industry partners to achieve the outcomes they need. AgResearch’s purpose is to enhance the value, productivity and profitability of New Zealand’s pastoral, agri-food and agri-technology sector value chains to contribute to economic growth and beneficial environmental and social outcomes for New Zealand.
The Statistics teams provide statistical consulting to AgResearch Science teams. They focus on the areas of experimental design, data analysis and data modelling achieved by applying statistical knowledge through innovative, high quality, well-focussed research. This position will enhance the team’s capacity in providing statistical consultancy to AgResearch Science projects.
The Statistician will primarily be involved in statistical collaboration with Science staff at the Lincoln and Invermay campuses, although he/she may also be involved in projects at other sites. The appointee will collaborate extensively with subject-area experts to design experiments, analyse and model biological data, develop new methodology where required and participate in the direction of research. It is expected that an appointee at the senior level would also provide leadership and mentoring to junior statisticians in AgResearch.
- Science staff within AgResearch
- Bioinformatics & Statistics team members and IT team members
- External Stakeholders
Key Result Areas:
The Statistician shall act within the following Key Result Areas. Assessment of performance within these areas will be at the Team Leader’s discretion throughout the year culminating in a performance review in July. Feedback on performance throughout the year can be either at the Statistician’s request or as offered by the Team Leader.
- Contribute to the design of statistically sound and biologically practicable experiments
- Model, analyse and interpret biological data
- Identify and provide appropriate solutions to statistical issues related to both one-off and on-going situations
- Contribute to high-quality scientific publications
- Provide training on statistical tools/methods to Science staff
- For a senior appointment, mentor junior statisticians, and serve as a conduit to other staff as appropriate, sharing knowledge and helping others develop their skills
Special Projects and Health and Safety
- Undertake special projects for your manager as and when required
- Ensures legislative compliance, (eg, Department of Labour, HSNO, EPA Animal Ethics) and appropriate data security
- Follow AgResearch Health and Safety Policies and Procedures
The person best suited to this position will possess the following:
- Postgraduate qualification in statistics or mathematics
- Demonstrated knowledge of a range of statistical techniques
- Ability to effectively use one or more statistical packages (e.g. R, GenStat, SAS)
- Ability to prioritise workload and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- For a senior appointment, a minimum of 5 years experience in statistical consulting, preferably in a research organisation
- Demonstrated ability to understand client needs and to contribute in a research team environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and in a manner facilitating understanding, both orally and in written material
|Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to AgResearch’s Statement of Core Purpose and Statement of Corporate Intent as well as the values encapsulated in The Way We Work principles.||· Supports the organisation
· Operates with integrity
· Discloses own position
· Remains open to ideas
· Supports others
· Maintains professionalism
|Clearly and succinctly conveys information and ideas to individuals and groups; communicating in an influential, focused and compelling way that captures and holds others’ attention.||· Delivers clear messages
· Communicates with impact
· Uses language appropriately
· Ensures understanding
· Influences others
· Provides linkage to strategy
|Collaborating||Develops and uses collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of business goals||· Stake holder focus
· Identifies partnership needs Explores partnership opportunities
· Formulates action plans
· Focuses on shared goals
· Monitors partnership.
|Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.||· Understands external environment Identifies issues, problems and opportunities
· Gathers and interprets information
· Generates alternatives
· Chooses and commits to appropriate action
· Involves others.
|Translates strategic priorities into operational reality; aligns communication, accountabilities, resource capabilities, internal processes, and on-going measurement systems to ensure that strategic priorities yield measurable and sustainable results||· Translates initiatives into action
· Implements a communication strategy
· Creates accountability
· Ensures skills and readiness
· Aligns systems and processes
· Tracks results
(for appointment at the senior level)
|Provides feedback, instruction, and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities; plans and supports the development of individual skills and abilities.||· Leads change
· Clarifies performance
· Provides timely feedback
· Conveys performance expectations and implications
· Evaluates skill gaps
· Guides development
· Fosters developmental relationships
Adheres to “The Way We Work” principles:
- Maintaining Professionalism
- Sharing Responsibility
- Respecting Each Other
- Being Fair
These are our commitment to each other to foster and sustain a positive, friendly and supportive workplace that nurtures excellence, creativity and successful relationships.