The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (www.ciat.cgiar.org) works to reduce hunger and poverty, and improve human nutrition in the tropics through research aimed at increasing the eco-efficiency of agriculture. CIAT is a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org), a global research partnership working many partners for a food secure future. The Center’s research focuses on increasing productivity of key crops (cassava, common bean, rice, and tropical forages); reversing soil and land degradation; and using information to foster better decisions about issues such as climate change and environmental management. Headquartered near Cali, Colombia, CIAT has regional offices in Nairobi, Kenya, and Hanoi, Vietnam, with staff posted in other developing countries as well.
CIAT has worked for more than two decades in Southeast Asia on crops and systems research to improve farmer’s livelihood through more efficient and sustainable agriculture and livestock production. Currently CIAT-Asia focuses on three science themes, including “Cassava value chains”, “Forages and livestock” and “Systems and landscapes”. In addition, several crosscutting initiatives are being implemented such as climate change, value chain and food systems research. Current project activities are implemented in Cambodia, China, Laos, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. Furthermore, new research initiatives are foreseen for Myanmar and India.
The CIAT regional office in Hanoi is searching for an experienced /senior Statistician, to provide support and advice to a growing team of scientists on proper experimental design, data quality control, and statistical analysis. Statistical advisory at the research planning stage is required to ensure that the proposed research is designed to adequately address the core objective/hypothesis, identify best practices for data collection and management, assure computational capacity to process data and analyze the results. Support at the data analysis stage will be key to apply suitable statistical methods, use of appropriate statistical software, warrant that reliable and evidence-based conclusions can be drawn from the analysis, and ensure best-practice presentation of results. The position is available for a Vietnamese National and based in Hanoi.
- Provide consistent statistical backstopping to a team of multidisciplinary scientists through the full research cycle from design, analysis to publication.
- Contribute to the development and use of standard procedures for data capture and processing for experiments that are widely applied.
- Implement and support in-house capacity building in agricultural statistical analysis and the use of statistical packages.
- Research and provide statistical expertise, in coordination with statistician at CIAT headquarters or global networks, for novel priority research areas.
- Participating in relevant CIAT-Asia activities such as project planning meetings, results-sharing workshop, among others.
- Contribute to research data management and scientific article publication
- Minimally a MSc. Degree — in Statistics, any science-related degree with relevant training in Statistics, or related fields.
- At least 3 years’ experience in statistical applications or support, with a track record in any of the following: (i) agricultural statistics, (ii) applied statistics, (iii) Bayesian statistics.
- Dominance of and familiarity with a variety of common statistical designs and analytical methods, including in crop and livestock sciences, agricultural economics, environmental sciences and/or participatory research.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with relevant data management tools
- Skilled in handling data, including big and complex data sets.
- Experience with statistical packages, preferably free or open source such as R statistics.
- Excellent English communication skills (speaking and writing), with proficiency in local languages of the region an advantage.
- Demonstrable track record of statistical analysis evidenced in reports or scientific journals.
- Prior involvement with science and research, preferably in an international research or academic setting.
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and as part of interdisciplinary teams in a culturally diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Superior didactical and communication skills to mentor and support early career scientists.
- Connectivity to an (inter)national professional network of relevant statistical contacts for consultation.
- Willingness to learn and contribute to the overall regional research program for CIAT Asia.
Terms of employment
The position is nationally recruited and will be based in Vietnam and report directly to Regional Program Management and the global Data, information, Knowledge Group. The initial contract will be for one (1) year, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality. Woman candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.