We are seeking to appoint a Trainee Statistician to join our thriving group of medical statisticians in York Trials Unit (YTU). We are seeking an enthusiastic individual with a strong quantitative background and an interest in pursuing a career in health services research.
You will carry out statistical analyses of trials and write summary reports, under the supervision and direction of a senior statistician, while developing your skills through undertaking further supported postgraduate study. YTU will support you in completing a part-time MSc in Medical Statistics or should you already hold equivalent postgraduate qualifications, then you will be supported in completing other relevant training offered both internally within the University and externally.
You will require a basic knowledge of statistical computing, and are expected to hold a good first degree in a relevant, quantitative subject and demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of statistical methods associated with trials.
Main purpose of the role
- To conduct statistical analyses and associated statistical programming for checking, manipulating, analysing and summarising data, under the direction of a senior statistician
- To assist with checking the quality of data collected and raise queries with trial coordinators or data managers with any data anomalies
- To provide on-going statistical advice during the development and conduct of studies, with support from senior colleagues
- To assist with undertaking methodological research around the conduct and analysis of trials
- Conduct routine statistical analyses and undergo training in more advanced methods
- Conduct basic statistical programming and undergo training in more advanced programming
- Undertake data cleaning and validation, including responsibility for raising queries and missing data with trial coordinators
- Perform checking and validation of basic statistical programming
- Gain experience of presenting results to colleagues and healthcare professionals
- Assist with teaching Health Sciences postgraduate students
- Gain an understanding of coordinating small projects
- Contribute to the Trials Unit administration: production of internal procedures and statistical system documentation
- Liaise with trial managers and data managers to manage statistical and analytical aspects of studies and ensure data quality
- Liaise with health economists to ensure comparability of clinical and economic analyses
- Monitor trials and prepare interim reports, with support, for Data Monitoring and Ethics Committees and trial management group meetings
- Assist with the preparation of reports for research funders
- Contribute to the publication and dissemination of research findings in refereed journals
- Help develop and conduct methodological work around the conduct and analysis of randomised controlled trials